Changing thought patterns
I was listening to Family Life Radio the other day and heard the following on Intentional Living with Dr. Randy Carlson. I really like listening to his show because the bible guides his advice. It’s always righteous… good stuff. I recommend his show if you ever get the time. This is what he was discussing last week –
-There are three steps to changing your mind:
1. STOP AND THINK… and keep thinking until your thoughts align to God’s intent for you – that will change your life for good.
(Romans 12:2) “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds”….
2. THINK TWICE UNTIL YOUR 2ND THOUGHT BECOMES YOUR FIRST THOUGHT… you can reverse the habit of wrong thinking by replacing it with right thinking until your right thinking becomes a habit for life.
(Phil 4:8) “Whatever is true, right, pure, praiseworthy, good report, honorable… think on these things”
3. DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO DEVELOP A GREAT GOD-INSPIRED ATTITUDE. Individuals with great attitudes are healthier, happier, more
successful and well liked – people with crummy attitudes aren’t.
(Eph 4:22-23) “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to
put off your old deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of
Changes your mind….Change your life for Good…
1. Life isn’t fair…so stop thinking it is.
2. People will disappoint you…so stop thinking they won’t.
3. Your employer doesn’t owe you a job…so stop thinking that they do.
4. You can’t change another person…so stop thinking you can.
5. Other people aren’t thinking about you…so stop thinking they are.
6. Life is short…so stop thinking it isn’t.
7. You determine your attitude…so stop thinking you don’t.
8. You don’t own your children…so stop thinking you do.
9. Good health is a gift from God….so stop thinking it’s not.
10. God loves you as you are…so stop thinking He doesn’t.
This relates back to a previous posting in my blog on thought, whereas I learned that unfulfilled expectations always end in a negative emotion (frustration, anger, hurtfulness, sadness, etc). Let go of the expecting and the negative emotions will be no more (God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change).