Top 10 Lessons from God
Here are some of my top lessons from God. Not that I have arrived, but I keep on keepin’ on towards the goal. Here they are, in no particular order. Enjoy:
- My own thinking can be flawed via societal influences – Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. I’m learning more and more how my own self-talk, self-reasoning, self-understanding, self-assumptions, etc. are the cause of every challenge that comes up in my life. Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- Emotions of man are deceitful – I have learned that every emotion can go one way or the other. It can line up with God or line up with the world. I.e. Love. There is a worldly love that consists of lust, infatuation, sentimental feelings, etc. There is a Godly love, which is a self-sacrificial love – putting other people first.
- Deeper meaning to the Cross – He showed me that even though the forgiveness of sins by the blood of the Lamb is truly a gift that gives us fellowship again with the Father, there is a deeper meaning of the Cross – Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
- A fall is preceded with pride – This is His temple (see #3), but at times, I want to be in control of the temple of God and do what I want to do. Egoism, humanism, self-centeredness, etc. was Adam/Eve’s fall and it was Satan’s fall – Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. To do what “I” want to do, which is contrary to God, is being in the flesh and of Adam.
- Breaking the chains of slavery – I have learned that only Christ Jesus breaks the chains and sets us free from the prison referenced in #4. Psalms 107:14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder. Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
- We have an enemy and I am no match for him – The Lord taught me that under my own power, I cannot do anything. It is only through His strength that I can overcome – Ephesians 6:10-11 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
- Salvation is of the Lord – I have learned that it is God who saves, brings forward the increase, and that He is the author and finisher of our faith. I cannot change others nor convince them of the Lord, this is the Spirit’s job. My role is that of servant and to be used for His good will and pleasure. To drop a seed, water, fertilize, intercessory prayer, etc. Jonah 2:9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD. Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; …
- Fellowship with Jesus – Every single time I have slacked in reading the Word and forsake the gathering of the brethren, things have gone south. It is this fellowship with Jesus that is my fuel. Time and time again, I have personally sank and witnessed others sink as they look away.
- All things work together for the good – Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. During trials and tribulations of life, when I look through the eyes of the Spirit, I find God’s hand involved. Then, I am no longer in the snare of the worldly thoughts/emotions, but I am transformed into thanking and praising God for His goodness.
- Lust is wickedly wicked – Paul always taught to stand and fight the wicked one in His might. I believe he knew something when he mentioned twice to flee fornication. I have learned that no matter how strong I think I am and/or how well I think I am walking with the Lord, that I have fallen 100% of the time in such situations. Flee is the only option.
- BONUS! Fully Convinced in Faith – Once again, a bonus to the top 10! :) He taught me to remain steadfast in faith, and that He will do what He says He will do. Holding tight to our faith in His promises, without wavering, while patiently enduring, will eventually bring it to pass. If the 5 senses or my mind cause me to consider something that is contrary to God, it is the thief trying to steal the seeds out of my heart. I have learned to speak against it in the name of Jesus, and begin to thank God for His promise that is finished in the heavenly realm. Fully expecting it to come to pass.